Having an accident is very traumatic and can create emotions that you were no expecting. Here is a list of items to help that you need to do in the event of an automobile accident.
- Check for injuries, vehicles can be fixed but people may need attention immediately. If you are not sure that someone is okay then you should call an ambulance.
- If your accident is a minor fender bender and no one is injured then move the vehicles to a safe location out of traffic.
- You should immediately turn on your hazards and if you have a road side kit then use flares, cones or triangles to notify other drivers that there has been an accident.
- Call the police.
- Contact your insurance company and let them know about the accident.
- Don’t sign anything admitting fault or otherwise.
- Take pictures of their car and yours if you have a camera phone. Make notes about the traffic, weather and what ever else you can about the accident.
- Make immediate notes about the accident including the specific damages to all vehicles involved. If the name on the auto registration and/or insurance policy is different from the name of the driver, establish the relationship and jot it down. Get witness information, if possible, as well.
- Do not leave the accident scene before the police officers and other drivers do unless someones life is at stake.